Get Your Vitamin C
5 Foods other than ORANGES that are loaded with Vitamin C!
We know that foods like oranges are loaded with vitamin C. Though studies show that consuming vitamin C can’t actually prevent colds, loading up on this nutrient may help slightly shorten the length of time you’re sick and reduce the severity of your symptoms. Look to these Vitamin C superfoods to give you some other options to reach your daily intake and stay healthy!
- Broccoli – This little powerhouse can be raw or cooked, as broccoli is an excellent source of vitamin C. Just half a cup of cooked broccoli provides 84% of the reference daily intake (RDI) — more than one-half an orange can offer!
- Green Peppers – Bell peppers are one of the best sources of vitamin C. A cup of chopped green peppers weighs in with about 120 milligrams of the vitamin. Daily intake requirements are 75 milligrams for women and 90 milligrams for men, making green peppers a great way of meeting that quota.
- Kiwi – These little round fruits give you a hefty dose of vitamin C. According to nutrition fact data provided by the USDA, regular kiwis contain almost twice as much as vitamin C as fresh oranges which are often touted as a top source of vitamin C.
- Strawberries – Packed with vitamins, fiber, and particularly high levels of antioxidants known as polyphenols, strawberries are a sodium-free, fat-free, cholesterol-free, low-calorie food. They are among the top 20 fruits in antioxidant capacity and are a good source of manganese and potassium. Just one serving — about eight strawberries — provides more vitamin C than an orange.
- Kale – Kale is a popular vegetable and a member of the cabbage family. It is a cruciferous vegetable like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, collard greens, and Brussels sprouts. Kale is much higher in vitamin C than most other vegetables, containing about 4.5 times much as spinach.
Enjoy getting more Vitamin C in your diet with these great choices. Be on the lookout for more from Journey Fitness Center!