5 Great Benefits of Yoga
We have seen an uptick in yoga studios and practices in the last decade. Many seasoned yogis love the benefits of the practice including better flexibility and better sleep. Reaching skeptics and newbies can be a challenge when their first thought of yoga goes to backbends, incense, headstands, and new age music. Let us convince you why trying yoga will benefit you:
- Protect your spine: Want to keep your spine in tip-top shape long term? Yoga helps keep discs supple, with backbends, forward bends, and twists. Your discs like movement, keep them moving with slow asanas.
- Increase your blood flow: Yoga gets your blood flowing. More specifically, the relaxation exercises you learn in yoga can help your circulation, especially in your hands and feet. Yoga also gets more oxygen to your cells, which function better as a result. The Waterfall pose (which is a laying inverted pose) can direct blood back to your heart, and more oxygen can be repumped to the lungs.
- Keep depression at bay: While it’s not as simple as eliminating depression in its entirety, one study found that a consistent yoga practice improved depression and led to a significant increase in serotonin levels and a decrease in the levels of monoamine oxidase (an enzyme that breaks down neurotransmitters) and cortisol.
- Improves balance: Want to fall less? Try yoga! Regularly practicing yoga increases proprioception (the ability to feel what your body is doing and where it is in space) and improves balance. People with poor posture usually have bad proprioception, which has been linked to back issues, hip issues, and knee pain.
- Increases flexibility: More flexibility comes with each class! Beginners may not see the immediate benefits of practicing, but over time, muscles become looser and poses you thought were unachievable become easier.
There are many more benefits to the practice of yoga – find your perfect fit with us. Journey Fitness Group Training Center has 4 different yoga instructors that offer Beginner Yoga, Therapeutic & Restorative Yoga, Power Yoga, Vinyasa Flow, and even Dynamic Yoga Barre. Find us on the MindBody app on your mobile device, and book your first yoga class for FREE!