The Health Benefits Of Exercise
It’s been said that the health benefits of clean living and exercise are the keys to a good life.
But what does being physically healthy actually do for your body?
Join us, today, as we put physical exercise under the microscope, showing you the benefits to your body, mind and future health.
The Benefits Of Physical Activity
It’s important to get enough exercise. This isn’t new information, but you might not be sure yet exactly what makes your physical workout routine so important:
- Reduces the risk of dying from coronary heart disease and developing high blood pressure, colon cancer, or diabetes.
- Helps to reduce blood pressure in people with hypertension.
- Works to help chronic, disabling conditions to improve their stamina and muscle strength.
- Reduces the symptoms of anxiety and depression and fosters improvements in mood and feelings of well-being.
- Helps to maintain healthy bones, muscles, and joints.
- Controls swelling in the joints and the pain associated with arthritis.
Physical activity boosts mental wellness
Regular physical activity can help to relieve tension, anxiety, depression and anger. You may notice a “feel good” sensation immediately following your physical activity. That’s no coincidence. Most people also note an improvement in general well-being over time as physical activity becomes part of their routine.
Physical activity improves physical wellness
Obviously, one of the biggest health benefits to physical exercise is an improvement in your physical wellness. The ways in which it benefits you, however, may surprise you:
Reduced Risk Factors
Too much sitting and other sedentary activities can increase your risk of cardiovascular disease. One study showed that adults who watch more than four hours of television a day had a 46% increased risk of death from any cause. In addition to this, there was an 80% increased risk of death from cardiovascular disease.
Becoming more active can help lower your blood pressure and also boost the levels of good cholesterol in your body.
Physical activity prolongs your optimal health
Without regular physical activity, the body slowly loses its strength, stamina and ability to function well. People who are physically active and at a healthy weight live roughly seven years longer than those who are not active.
In addition to the health benefits listed above, moderate exercise like brisk walking can have other health benefits such as:
- Improved blood circulation, with a reduction in the risk of heart disease
- Weight control maintenance
- Help quitting smoking
- Improved blood cholesterol levels
- Preventing and managing high blood pressure
- Preventing bone loss
- Boosting energy level
- Helping to manage stress
- Releasing tension
- Promoting enthusiasm and optimism
- Countering anxiety and depression
- Helping you fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly
- Improving your self-image
- Increasing muscle strength, increasing the ability to do other physical activities
- Providing a way to share an activity with family and friends
- Reducing the risk of developing CHD/CVD by 30-40 percent
- Reducing the risk of stroke by 20 percent in moderately active people and by 27 percent in those who are highly active
- Establishing heart-healthy habits in children. It helps to counter the conditions that lead to heart attacks and strokes, later in life, such as obesity and high blood pressure
- Delaying chronic illnesses associated with ageing, for quality of life and independence in seniors
Discover Better Health Benefits, With Journey
With so much to be gained from a healthier lifestyle, there are a million reasons to start.
Learn more about the health benefits of exercise by getting in touch with us, or checking out one of our other fantastic blog pieces, today.